Probably everyone has heard of such a disease as varicose veins. But maybe not everyone knows how to relieve pain and other negative symptoms of the disease. Unpleasant sensations in the lower extremities can be cured with medication, exercise, or surgery.
Symptoms of the disease
The main symptoms and pain in the legs with varicose veins in the primary stage:
- cyanotic nodules appear on the thighs, feet, and legs;
- there is no severe pain with varicose veins in the legs;
- Swelling of the legs may occur;
- night cramps in the calves;
- pain under the knee;
- Fatigue increases.
In the last stages of varicose veins everything becomes more complicated:
- Spider veins and asterisks appear;
- constant pain, stabbing pain in the legs;
- veins protrude above the skin, rupture of nodules and subcutaneous bleeding are possible, most often occur at night;
- dry skin, increased pigmentation, ulcers, eczema, dermatitis are possible.
If the temperature rises during varicose veins, weakness occurs, then this may be the beginning of a complication. The strongest complications with varicose veins:
- profuse bleeding from skin injuries;
- Bleeding of the venous nodes.
If you notice the first signs of varicose veins, you should immediately consult a doctor so that the disease does not have time to reach the final stage and does not cause complications.
Why do legs hurt with varicose veins?
Usually, the legs are constantly aching with varicose veins, regardless of the time of day. They only increase with physical activity. There are a number of reasons why feet hurt. The main one is a violation of the blood supply to the tissues. The varicose veins expand and expand, and more blood collects in the veins. There is a strong stagnation, there is a feeling of fullness in the legs. With normal blood flow, toxins are safely removed from the human body. In the event of failures, they accumulate and damage health. There is severe pain in the evening. To relieve pain in the legs with varicose veins, you can independently massage the extremities during the day. In this case, only pain relief and temporary relief are possible. If your legs are in severe pain, then for complex treatment of the disease, you should definitely consult a doctor.
Is it possible to self-diagnose or see a doctor?
Because of the internet, a person can diagnose pain from varicose veins. However, this is not a reason not to see a doctor. Often times, patients may mistake the pain symptoms in the legs for varicose veins or give them no importance at all. Because of this, the disease can go from the initial stage to the final, the increase in veins will appear in different places. Dangerous varicose veins under the knee can begin. In this case, acute joint pain occurs in the back. It increases with static load. There are also complications. Then a visit to the doctor is a must. Treatment of the disease will take much more time and human health. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you see a doctor at the first signs of the disease. It is necessary to undergo a full examination, take tests and obtain a doctor's prescription for treatment for the disease.
What to do if your leg hurts from varicose veins
The patient should know what to do if the leg hurts from varicose veins. For treatment, it is imperative to see a specialist who will send you for a full examination. The doctor will determine the pain from varicose veins, other symptoms, the degree of the disease, and possible complications. An individual treatment is selected for each case. If your legs hurt from varicose veins, you need to reduce the load immediately and start taking medication. The doctor will tell you to wear compression stockings for restraint. If the legs hurt with varicose veins, you need to start treatment immediately to avoid complications.
At the first symptoms, the doctor will prescribe special drugs that will help overcome the disease in the early stages. Means eliminate discomfort, fight blood congestion, eliminate swelling of the extremities.
The main drugs are divided into 2 groups. Medicines in capsule and gel form.
For a faster and better result, it is advisable to use the preparations in a complex manner (capsules and gel). Each of them is aimed at eliminating the symptoms of the disease. The funds relieve pain and are suitable for complex treatment.
For very severe pain with varicose veins, anti-inflammatory drugs in the form of capsules are used. Gels are used together with them. They help relieve tiredness and swelling, and improve blood circulation. Many of these drugs are available in both capsule and gel form.
In combination with medication, doctors recommend physical activity. They improve venous return. There are several reasons for varicose veins: sedentary lifestyle, sedentary lifestyle, obesity.
The main physical activities for varicose veins:
- Sitting with one leg over the other is not recommended.
- Leg gymnastics.
To relieve pain, such exercises will help (but only in the primary stages of the disease):
- Exercise bike.
- Stand on tiptoe and stand on your heels.
- Walk on toes, then heels.
- Massage in for at least 5 minutes.
This method of therapy must be combined with the right and rational diet with the consumption of foods that are not too fatty. Clothing should not squeeze the body. Shoes shouldn't be too tight.
Surgical intervention is prescribed for treatment. This can be laser exposure, sclerotherapy, or phlebectomy.
Another name for surgery under the influence of a laser for varicose veins is intravascular laser coagulation. Such a procedure is both basic and additional to the same phlebectomy or sclerotherapy. After the patient's damaged veins are irradiated with the laser, the wound heals quickly. The patient is admitted to the hospital for only 1 day. A person can begin their daily activities almost immediately. No sutures are applied after the laser application, only compression stockings that compress the skin for quick healing.
Advantages of laser exposure:
- Use of local anesthesia.
- High operating speed (approx. 40 minutes).
- The postoperative scar is no longer than 2 cm.
- There are no traces of the removal of damaged veins.
- Rare complications.
Sclerotherapy is used together with laser therapy. The method of treatment can either be a major surgery or an additional one. Indications for sclerotherapy:
- The initial stage of varicose veins.
- Spider veins and no vein problems worth mentioning.
The essence of this therapy is the administration of a special substance into the vein that appears to block the vein. The substance is injected with a thin needle. After the injection, the damaged vein will go away over time. Up to six procedures are required for its complete disappearance. It all depends on the severity of the disease. There are a number of contraindications to sclerotherapy:
- Allergy to the injected substance.
- Pregnancy, lactation.
- The presence of blood clots in the veins.
This type of surgery is becoming less and less prescribed and involves the removal of damaged veins through surgery to help relieve pain. During the operation, veins are removed in which blood flow is increased by 10%. Notes for using this operation:
- The presence of complications.
- Many damaged areas.
- The presence of ulcers.
- Great swelling in the lower legs.
Surgical removal of varicose veins is prescribed only if no other therapies have shown a positive effect. Before starting the operation, the attending physician prescribes a full examination of the patient for contraindications. Contraindications for phlebectomy:
- Heart disease.
- Advanced age.
- The presence of blood clots and complications.
The disadvantage of this procedure is the duration of the operation (about three hours) and a longer recovery time.
How to relieve leg pain with varicose veins using folk remedies
Some people do not trust traditional medicine, preferring treatment with folk remedies. However, such self-medication does not guarantee full recovery, it can only relieve the condition or relieve the first symptoms. You need to know how to relieve leg pain with varicose veins using folk remedies. Folk methods include tinctures, compresses, decoctions and rubbing.
How to relieve pain with varicose veins at home:
- Cabbage porridge with honey. It is applied to the sore area, preferably at night. Helps reduce pain and swelling in varicose veins.
- Unripe tomatoes. Finely cut or grind with a meat grinder and apply to a sore area for three hours. The procedure is repeated daily until the condition with varicose veins of the lower extremities is relieved.
- Acacia blossom infusion. The infusion is carried out in a ratio of 1: 3, it should be left in a place inaccessible to sunlight for 2 weeks. Then the limbs are rubbed five times a day.
- Nettle decoction. A glass of boiling water will need 2 tbsp. l. You can take nettles both dried and freshly harvested. As soon as the nettle is infused, a quarter glass must be drunk before eating. Continue treatment for two weeks.
- Apple cider vinegar wrap. Vinegar can be bought and made at home. It must be diluted 1: 1. It is advisable to wrap it twice a day (morning and evening) for at least twenty minutes. During the procedure, the legs should be raised above the body. It is recommended to continue until the condition improves.
- Carrot tops. Brew tea with carrot tips, 1 tbsp. l. 200 ml of boiling water. Drink tea 2-3 times a day, 1 glass at a time, as the legs hurt with varicose veins.
Preventive measures and recommendations
To prevent the appearance of varicose veins, train yourself to closely monitor and respond to changes in the body. Timely diagnosis often helps to get rid of the disease in its early stages. It is important to follow these recommendations:
- adhere to the right lifestyle;
- engage in physical activity but not heavy sport;
- go for a walk in the fresh air;
- run and swim;
- to refuse from bad habits;
- check your diet;
- don't overwork;
- Choose the right clothes and shoes.
It is imperative to go to bed before midnight. Sleep should be at least eight hours. A cool shower also has a beneficial effect on the condition, it narrows the blood vessels and invigorates the whole body with varicose veins in the legs. Avoid uncomfortable positions for your body while working. During the day you should drink at least two liters of water, doctors recommend drinking a glass before breakfast. If it doesn't work, you can eat 1 tbsp. l. Flaxseed for varicose veins of the lower extremities. They also help start the digestive tract.